Thursday, March 10, 2011

3/10/11

Emersyn is 3 weeks old today. It's amazing to me that I gave birth 3 weeks ago. On one hand, 3 weeks seems like so long ago and so much has happened since then, but the drama and emotion from that day are still so fresh in my mind. Our ride on the rollercoaster continues. She had some difficulty with feeds for a few days due to a bowel distention on x-ray so the feedings were stopped. The doctor resumed her feedings yesterday after the x-ray looked ok, and she seems to be doing better. This morning she was given an enema to help get her bowels moving. Probably wasn't a good idea for me to do kangaroo care right afterwards. I held her for almost 3 hours, and when the nurse took her off my chest there was poop on me and her diaper was full. I was glad the enema helped rather than being grossed out. Won't be the last time she poops on me either so guess I better get used to it! Brian's Dad is still here and his sister Kym flew in last night from New Mexico. My first time to meet his sister and Kym's first time to meet Em. My family is all out of town for the most part (parents and 2 sisters/fam in Orlando and another sister/fam in Grand Cayman). It has been nice to have Brian's family here.

We've taken a few breaks from the hospital for meals and showering, but the majority of time spent is here with the baby. Thankfully there is free internet access or we might have already lost our minds. We upgraded to a larger room yesterday, more space, a flat screen tv and we can have the pullout bed down and still open the bathroom door...quite a difference. I was reluctant to move rooms, but figured it might be worth it since we will be here for 2 more months. Moving all the butterfly and flower wall decals was a pain, but we still have the cutest room here in the NICU. We see alot of familiar faces now that we've had about every nurse and doctor for Em. We do have our favorite nurses, ones that we feel truly listen to us and are better with handling Emersyn...we've chosen a few to be her primary care nurses. Some of the older nurses seem cold and a bit numb to everything here. This might be their job, but it is our baby girl's life...we are not willing to compromise when it comes to her care.

No comments:

Post a Comment